Ten Questions to Ask Before You Punish
- Will this punishment teach my child better decision-making skills?
- Does this punishment change the misbehavior?
- Does this punishment reduce the need for more punishment?
- Am I getting angry when I punish?
- Is this punishment part of a plan? Do I use it impulsively?
- Am I getting even? Will this punishment humiliate or embarrass my child?
- Am I being consistent?
- Will I follow through immediately (except when I am angry)?
- Is this punishment reasonable and fair?
- Have I tried positive remedies first?
More on: Discipline Strategies
From How to Behave So Your Children Will, Too!. Copyright © Sal Severe, 2000. Used by arrangement with Viking Penguin, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.If you'd like to buy this book, click here or on the book cover. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.