Home > School and Learning > By Grade > College > Paying for College > Nontraditional Options for College Savings

Nontraditional Options for College Savings

Traditional methods of saving for college are still popular, but there are some newer and more creative methods of saving, as well.

You really should sit down with a financial advisor, who will assess your financial situation and recommend a plan that best suits your situation. So you know what the advisor is talking about, some information about other options for saving for college is given in the following sections.

EE Bonds

Money Morsel

In order to cash in on the income tax exemption of EE bonds, they can only be used for educational expenses for you, your spouse, or your dependent children. The bonds can be used to pay for tuition, room and board, and books.

A method of saving for college that's gaining in popularity is utilizing EE Bonds. These bonds are special because the interest accrues on them from the time the bonds are purchased until they are cashed, with the proceeds used toward college exempt from federal income tax liability. This is a beneficial tool, but you should know that it's not available to everyone.

A person over the age of 24 must purchase the bonds in the name of the parents of the child for whom the money is earmarked—not in the child's name. And the bonds must be held for at least five years before they can be used for college costs. That means you can't go out and buy them when your child is 17 and expect to use them to pay for college costs.

When you cash in the bonds to pay for educational expenses, the entire interest amount is tax free, provided your joint household income is less than $79,650. The amount is pro-rated up to a maximum of $109,650 of family income, and, once you're over $109,650, the accrued interest is taxed.

EE bonds can be a nice supplement to your college savings, but not a practical means of funding an entire college education. If your child doesn't go to college, the bonds remain in your name.

Uniform Gifts to Minors Act (UGMA) Accounts

These are older style accounts that are set up to lower the income tax liability that individuals pay for funds in their children's names. Funds set aside for college, or given as gifts to your children, are placed into an account in the child's name under the Uniform Gifts to Minors Act. The funds belong to the child. Since the child is a minor, however, the funds must have a custodian—usually a parent. The funds accumulate and are invested, with the child earning investment income. The nice thing about these kinds of accounts is that the first $750 of investment income the child earns is not taxed, and the next $750 is taxed at the lowest tax bracket. After that, the rate increases and is paid at the parents' tax rate. After age 14, the rate is always taxed at the rate of the child's tax bracket.

Don't Go There

Life insurance is not a good investment for a college account. Neither are limited partnerships or tax deferred annuities. These are long-term investments that aren't suitable for college savings. If your financial advisor recommends any of these investment tools, run and find another advisor.

A possible downside of these funds is that the money belongs to your child. If Rob decides to buy a motorcycle and ride through Europe instead of going to college, as long as he's no longer a minor, you can't stop him from taking his “college” money with him. It's a good idea to only invest enough in these types of funds to get the income tax advantage, and put the rest of your child's college money somewhere else.

The custodian of a UGMA account can set it up as a savings account in the local bank, and change it to a brokerage account as the account grows. You can even buy stocks or bonds with the money, but not unless you know what you're doing.

Gift tax limitations dictate that a maximum of $10,000 a year can be placed in a UGMA account. That amount can be doubled if a couple is gifting.

Excerpted from The Complete Idiot's Guide to Personal Finance in Your 40s and 50s © 2002 by Sarah Young Fisher and Susan Shelly. All rights reserved including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form. Used by arrangement with Alpha Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.

To order this book visit the Idiot's Guide web site or call 1-800-253-6476.


8 Epic Emoji-Themed Crafts, Activities & Recipes
Check out the best emoji crafts, activities, and recipes! They're perfect for an emoji-themed birthday party or anytime you need DIY (and screen-free!) summer activities for kids, tweens, and teens.

Find Today's Newest & Best Children's Books
Looking for newly released books for your child? Try our Book Finder tool to search for new books by age, type, and theme!

10 Free Summer Learning Worksheets
Print these free printables for preschoolers and kindergarteners to help your child's mind stay sharp until September!

Ready for Kindergarten?
Try our award-winning Kindergarten Readiness app! This easy-to-use checklist comes with games and activities to help your child build essential skills for kindergarten. Download the Kindergarten Readiness app today!

stay connected

Sign up for our free email newsletters and receive the latest advice and information on all things parenting.

Enter your email address to sign up or manage your account.

Facebook icon Facebook icon Follow Us on Pinterest

editor’s picks