What Dads Can Do for Daughters
Here's what the collective research has found about the role dads play with daughters:
- Fathers influence their daughters' lives more as the girls age.
- A girl's relationships with males are influenced by her early relationship with her father.
- Daughters who have high involvement with their fathers show greater nongender-role typing and less sex stereotyping.
- Daughters view their dads as heroes and protectors who embody order and authority.
- A father validates his daughter's dreams and desires.
- A father helps form a daughter's perception of femininity.
- Dads help girls to feel valued.
- Fathers affect in positive ways their daughters' inclinations to achieve.
- Daughters are nurtured by love from both parents.
- Fathers contribute to the development of self-esteem and self-confidence in daughters.
- Dads help their daughters develop a sexual and personal identity that affects their eventual achievements, parenting skills, and marriage.
- Dads convey beliefs and values that are adopted by their daughters.
Excerpted from The Complete Idiot's Guide to Mothers and Daughters © 2001 by Rosanne Rosen. All rights reserved including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form. Used by arrangement with Alpha Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.
To order this book visit Amazon's web site or call 1-800-253-6476.