Top Tips for a Natural Chill Out
If you come home from a hard day's work feeling stressed and in need of chilling out, here's what to do:
- Take any of the following natural "chillers," based on your own experimentation. The suggested doses are guidelines only, since each of us has a unique biochemical makeup. You can start with 60-75 mg of kava (kavalactones) daily, increasing to two to three times daily, if that's what works for you. If you still don't feel relaxed, try, or add, any of the following, preferably one at a time to gauge your response. (If you do end up taking them all, reduce the dose of each by one-half, or take a combination formula.) Take about 60 mg of valerian, 100 mg of hops, 100 mg of passionflower, 500 mg of GABA, or 500 mg of taurine.
- Do a vital energy exercise yoga, t'ai chi, or any form of movement or dance.
- Take a bath with essential oils of lavender, orange, marjoram, and/or chamomile dispersed in the water.
- Meditate, listen to biofeedback tapes, or do a breathing exercise.
- Listen to relaxing music.
- Have someone give you a massage, or give yourself one.
- Light your room with candles and/or blue or turquoise light.
- Have sex.
- Take a nap if you need one.
From NATURAL HIGHS: Supplements, Nutrition, and Mind/Body Techniques to Help You Feel Good by Hyla Cass and Patrick Holford. Copyright © Hyla Cass, M.D., and Patrick Holford. Used by arrangement with Avery, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.
To order this book visit www.penguin.com. Get a 15% discount with the coupon code FENPARENT.