Checklist for an Unleaded School Environment
Brought to you by the National PTA®.
- Read labels on art, science, and other supplies to determine toxicity or ventilation needs.
- Limit chemical use.
- Request material safety data sheets (MSDS) from suppliers/manufacturers.
- Develop procedures and have supplies available to control spills.
- Create a display in your school that warns about the hazards of lead poisoning.
- Include an article about childhood lead poisoning in your PTA newsletter.
- Invite a local doctor or community health worker to give a lead poisoning prevention presentation at your next PTA meeting.
- Work with school officials to make the school building and grounds as lead-free as possible.
- Call your local or state health department or department of environmental quality to sponsor a community health fair that includes lead screening for kids.
More on: School Safety