2 of 8
Benefits to Mom
Breastfeeding is great for a new baby, but it has plenty of positive effects on the mother, as well. Here are just a few:
- Breastfeeding can burn up to 500 calories a day, which helps to melt off those extra pregnancy pounds.
- Breastfeeding releases the hormone oxytocin, which causes uterine contractions, helping to shrink the uterus back to its pre-pregnancy size. These uterine contractions also help slow bleeding after delivery and prevent hemorrhaging.
- Oxytocin also decreases blood pressure and has a calming effect when released.
- Nursing is a very relaxing experience for both mother and child. This is a time for bonding and much needed rest for new mothers.
- Women who breastfeed have a lower risk of breast, ovarian, and uterine cancers. Breastfeeding also reduces the risk of osteoporosis.
Next: Breast Milk Is Free