I Did it All By Myself! An Age-by-Age Guide to Teaching Your Child Life Skills
3 of 9
Ages 4-5: Important Names and Numbers
When your child reaches this age, safety skills are high on the list. She should know:
- Her full name, address, and phone number.
- How to make an emergency call.
Your child should also learn how to:
- Perform simple cleaning chores such as dusting in easy-to-reach places and clearing the table after meals.
- Feed pets.
- Identify monetary denominations, and understand the very basic concept of how money is used.
- Brush her teeth, comb her hair, and wash her face without assistance.
- Help with basic laundry chores, such as putting her clothes away, and bringing her dirty clothes to the laundry area.
- Choose her own clothes to wear.