I Did it All By Myself! An Age-by-Age Guide to Teaching Your Child Life Skills
5 of 9
Ages 8-9: Pride in Personal Belongings
By this time, your child should take pride in her personal belongings and take care of them properly. This includes being able to:
- Fold her clothes.
- Learn simple sewing.
- Care for outdoor toys such as her bike or roller skates.
Your child should also learn how to:
- Take care of personal hygiene without being told to do so.
- Use a broom and dustpan properly.
- Read a recipe and prepare a simple meal.
- Help create a grocery list.
- Count and make change.
- Take written phone messages.
- Help with simple lawn duties such as watering and weeding flower beds.
- Take out the trash.