I Did it All By Myself! An Age-by-Age Guide to Teaching Your Child Life Skills
5 of 8
Ages 10-13: Gaining Independence
Ten is about the age when your child can begin to perform many skills independently. He should know how to:
- Stay home alone.
- Go to the store and make purchases by himself.
- Change his own bed sheets.
- Use the washing machine and dryer.
- Plan and prepare a meal with several ingredients.
- Use the oven to broil or bake foods.
- Read labels.
- Iron his clothes.
- Learn to use basic hand tools.
- Mow the lawn.
- Look after younger siblings or neighbors.