Adoption for Stepfamilies

In This Article:

Page 1

Adoption is one area that's easier to navigate for stepfamilies than it is for non-stepfamilies. (We found an easier area! Hurrah!) Adoption after a parent has died is simplest. It can get confusing—not to mention legally and emotionally complicated—if the birth parents are both living and are either divorced or never married to each other.

Adoption is regulated by states, and there are some significant differences between how things are done in, say, New Hampshire and California. Fortunately for us, some things are the same, and some general principles and concepts don't vary too much from place to place.

Lawyers! Yes, Indeed

Lawyers are not always necessary in life, and many people feel they get more work than they should. They're essential, though, for adoptions. If you're beginning the journey to stepparent adoption, you'll need some support and lots of information to get through the snarls of legality. Make sure you ask how many adoption cases your lawyer has done and whether he or she specializes in family law. This is the most important thing you can do for yourself.

Familiarize yourself with your state laws and precedents. If you are willing to spend time in a law library, you may not need a lawyer for this. (If you have decided to get your information through a lawyer, consider hiring a research lawyer because they usually charge less than a trial lawyer.)

Stepping Stones

It may sound silly and obvious, but your partner (the custodial parent) must also consent to the adoption. That means no holiday surprises: “Guess what, darling? Your little Joey is now our little Joey!”

Getting Consent

If the other bioparent is still living, he or she must consent to the adoption unless his or her parental rights are terminated. Consent procedures differ. In some states, the birth parent must sign a form in front of a social worker. In others, the birth parent must appear in court.

What if you can't find the birth parent? Haul out the phonebook and turn to “Private Investigator.” Unwed fathers (if they were never married) must be notified in most states and, in many states, must give consent to the adoption as well.

Once you have consent, you can skip down to the section “Filing the Petition.” If you can't get consent (or cannot locate the parent), read on!

Terminating Parental Rights

If you can't get consent from a child's parent, you must go to court for a Termination of Parental Rights hearing. (Okay, time to bring the lawyer in, right about now.) You're going to have to prove that the parent has given up his or her parental rights to the child. The laws are inconsistent from state to state on this one, but generally the court decides on parental rights based on both the parent's previous behavior toward the child (abandonment, abuse, or neglect) and character concerns.

Here are some representative conditions the court may consider. (I include them here so you can get an idea before you call your lawyer—which you do need to do!):

  • Abandonment. Has the parent maintained an active interest in the child's life? What if the parent hasn't supported the child but sends cards on a regular basis? In some places you must prove that the parent intended to abandon the child. In other places, the parent needs to have deserted the child for more than three months. Abandonment (as with all consent law) is decided by the court. “The court” means the judge you get and the state you live in. Judges and states vary widely. Do your research before you claim abandonment to find out how things in your neck of the woods generally go.
  • Abuse and substantial neglect. The court may need to see that abuse or neglect was significant, and that it happened more than once.
  • Failure to support. In many places, failure to support a child is considered a condition only when the parent could pay but didn't (“Hey, I had to buy a boat, man!”). In other places, chronic underpaying makes parents eligible to lose their parental rights. Some deadbeat parents who are reluctant to consent to an adoption have made deals to avoid having to pay their child support in arrearage (the amount of back child support they owe).
  • Failure to protect. Neglecting to protect a child from known dangers is another condition that may cause a parent to lose his or her parental rights.
  • Character issues. Depravity, open and notorious adultery or fornication, habitual drunkenness, and drug addiction are all conditions that may be considered as just cause for a parent losing his or her parental rights.

As you might imagine, court cases discussing these matters can be pretty brutal for everybody concerned.

Next: Page 2 >>

Excerpted from The Complete Idiot's Guide to Stepparenting © 1998 by Ericka Lutz. All rights reserved including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form. Used by arrangement with Alpha Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.

To order this book visit the Idiot's Guide web site or call 1-800-253-6476.


8 Epic Emoji-Themed Crafts, Activities & Recipes
Check out the best emoji crafts, activities, and recipes! They're perfect for an emoji-themed birthday party or anytime you need DIY (and screen-free!) summer activities for kids, tweens, and teens.

Find Today's Newest & Best Children's Books
Looking for newly released books for your child? Try our Book Finder tool to search for new books by age, type, and theme!

10 Free Summer Learning Worksheets
Print these free printables for preschoolers and kindergarteners to help your child's mind stay sharp until September!

Ready for Kindergarten?
Try our award-winning Kindergarten Readiness app! This easy-to-use checklist comes with games and activities to help your child build essential skills for kindergarten. Download the Kindergarten Readiness app today!

stay connected

Sign up for our free email newsletters and receive the latest advice and information on all things parenting.

Enter your email address to sign up or manage your account.

Facebook icon Facebook icon Follow Us on Pinterest

editor’s picks