Common Concerns About Weight-Loss Camp
In This Article:
5. We have tried diets at home, and they haven't worked. Why should I expect better results from weight-loss camp?
There are a number of reason why your child may achieve weight-loss success at camp, even though he hasn't at home:
- Studies show that efforts at group weight loss prove more effective than solitary dieting.
- Within a new environment, your child may feel able to shed old, accustomed habits and make a fresh start.
- Camp days are tightly scheduled, leaving little downtime for boredom and mindless snacking.
- Your child won't be faced with your daily expectations and possible disappointment; the easing of that pressure may be helpful.
- Do you struggle with your own weight? Your personal concerns may deflect onto your child. Temporarily separating from home may be a positive way your child can focus on himself.
- Camp kitchens are monitored and typically closed except at mealtime. Without easy access to a kitchen, your child is more likely to participate in activities and focus on something other than food.
- Your child will be spending time with like-minded kids, to whom he can relate. He won't feel like an outsider, and that group support can have positive effects.
More on: Summer Camp