Your Teen and Celebrity Role Models
In This Article:
Role models have a huge influence on their admirers, helping to establish which values, lifestyles, and decisions they will adopt as their own. It is important for parents to keep the lines of communication open with their children, to help them decipher who is a worthy role model. To get the conversation going, follow these tips:
- Casually talk to your children about who their favorite celebrities are and why.
- Ask them if they approve of the actions or lifestyle decisions of these celebrities.
- Offer your opinion on different celebrities or other newsworthy actions that may have an influence on your child.
- Discuss with your teens what the expression "role model" means to them – ask them to list the traits that make someone worthy, and unworthy, as a role model.
- Ask them if they have any other role models, aside from celebrities.
- Discuss with your children how role models influence their decisions.