Tips for Teens: How to Quit Smoking
Brought to you by the National PTA.
The American Lung Association offers teenagers the following tips to kick their smoking habits:
- Decide that you are really ready to quit.
- If you think a stop-smoking group would help, ask if your school has one. If it doesn't, contact your local American Lung Association for stop smoking materials.
- Choose a quit date and stick to it.
- Find someone who agrees to help and support you if it gets tough.
- Prepare yourself and your surroundings; get rid of all your smoking stuff, and tell people what you're doing.
- List your reasons for quitting and read them every time you have the urge to smoke.
- Drinks lots of water, choose healthy foods, and get some exercise; these things really help!
- Set goals and celebrate your accomplishments; you have some extra money now!
- Plan what you'll do when you have urges and cravings. You'll be less likely to slip.
- Know that a slip is not failure and stay positive.
- Even though it's hard, quitting is the best thing you can do for yourself.
For more information or assistance with quitting smoking, call the American Lung Association at (800) LUNG USA.