100th Anniversary of the Start of World War I
Find facts about the Great War, biographies of notable WWI figures, information about major battles, the weapons and uniforms of soldiers, and more
Imperial, territorial, and economic rivalries led to the “Great War” between the Central Powers (Austria-Hungary, Germany, Bulgaria, and Turkey) and the Allies (U.S., Britain, France, Russia, Belgium, Serbia, Greece, Romania, Montenegro, Portugal, Italy, and Japan). At the time, World War I was largest war the world had experienced. Many battles were fought in the trenches in this long and bloody war. About 10 million combatants were killed and 20 million wounded. Find facts, stats, biographies, a timeline, and more about the war to end all wars.
History, Biographies, Facts, and Statistics
- History and Background of World War I
- Timeline of Key Dates
- Fact Sheet: Dates, countries involved, statistics, background and more
- Major Theaters of Battle
- Important Battles
- Battles with the Most Casualties
- Casualties in World War I
- Biographies of Notable World War I Figures
- Armistices and Treaties
- Weapons and Technology
- Women in World War I
- Did you know?
- The world's newest country is South Sudan.