10 Tips to Avoid Turkey Day Disasters
With the oven cranking and all the burners simmering, a Thanksgiving kitchen fire could well be on the menu. Follow these tips to avoid your own home inferno.
- Drippings in the oven can spark a flame -- make sure your pan will hold the turkey and all its drippings, and don't overfill pie crusts.
- Account for all your potholders -- a missing potholder might be burning in the oven.
- Think ahead and set a loud timer.
- Watch out for the oven's self-clean setting, which will burn anything to a crisp.
- Don't put glassware from the refrigerator directly onto heat -- it might shatter due to the abrupt change in temperature.
Next: Bacterial Basting