10 Tips to Avoid Turkey Day Disasters
Every year it seems at least one item on the menu is forgotten or forsaken. Take steps to ensure that when your family and friends arrive, your table is covered.
- Make a list of what you need to buy and a schedule for preparing each dish. Make some things, like desserts, ahead of time so they don't slip through the cracks.
- Delegate tasks so that everyone in the family shares the responsibility.
- Calculate how big a turkey you need based on the number of guests -- about a pound per person should do for moderate leftovers.
- Figure out how long it will take for the bird to thaw (immerse it in cold water if you're running late) and cook (you may have to set your alarm to have it ready in time)!
- Don't leave pets and food together unattended -- it's just asking for trouble.
Next: Bloody Bird
View our slideshow gallery